Our comparison between Greenworks self propelled mower and EGO self propelled mower revealed so many things. Greenworks self propelled mower is over $200 cheaper than EGO (As of published date! Check 2020 updates and current prices below). Why?
So we found it weird that even though GreenWorks and EGO are both great brands, they published two self propelled mowers of relatively the same performance, yet the EGO is like $200 more expensive than the GreenWorks self propelled mower.
So we decided to do a comparison to find out if you would be overspending on EGO when you could go for the cheaper brand.
The mowers in question are (click on each to read their individual full review by C-ELMR):
What is the first thing that you noticed about the mowers?
Yes, the GreenWorks Pro is a 80V mower while the EGO is a 56V mower! Does this mean the GreenWorks Pro will perform better than EGO? EGO has a 7.5Ah battery while GreenWorks has a 5Ah battery so which will determine the better performance?
To find out, we will look at the following aspects of the mowers:
- Efficiency and ease of use
Read Full Comparison Review Below
Who has the better design? EGO VS GreenWorks
We took a good look at both mowers and after much consideration, this is what we came up with…A tie. Let me show you what I mean
Start option – Push button, pull starter handle
For both EGO and GreenWorks, the start-up sequence is relatively the same but for EGO, you have a choice if you want to use the mower in regular push mode or self propelled mode.
Ego has an extra starter handle for the self propelled option. When you start the GreenWorks mower it propels forward immediately. It would be nice if GreenWorks considered that people might not want to be pulled along as soon as the mower starts but that is minor.
Weight and size – Which mower is heavier?
There is over 11 lbs weight difference! Greenworks is a lot heavier than Ego!
(The EGO self propelled mower is 37.5 inches long, 22.5 inches wide and 16.6 inches tall and weighs 68lbs while the GreenWorks Pro is 32.3 inches Long x 18.2 inches High x 20.4 Wide inches and weighs 79.5 lbs)
When we reviewed the GreenWorks Pro, this was one of the main drawbacks.
Even though these are self propelled mowers, people were complaining about the weight of Greenworks, especially if they had to lift it to take it to the basement for storage during the winter months.
Both EGO and GreenWorks offer three convenient cutting options; bagging, sideways discharge and mulching.
No noticeable difference. Both are pretty low compared to a gas mower. Your neighbors will be pleased with whichever one you purchase.
Both mowers have drawbacks in this area. The GreenWorks highest setting is too low to perform well in high grass while the EGO lowest setting might be too high for some people.
(GreenWorks self propelled lawn mower has seven height adjustments from 1 1/4 inches to 3 5/8 inches high while EGO only has six between 1 1/2 inches and 4 inches high)
Greenworks has a brushless motor for better energy efficiency. Both have “smart cut” that revs up in tall grass and down in low grass to conserve energy. Both have mowing speed adjustments on the handlebar.
Battery = Power
Now the GreenWorks has a 80V, 5Ah battery while EGO has a 56V, 7.5Ah battery. Hmmm, which do you think is more powerful?
Did you make your guess? If not, do it now.
Here is your answer……..
EGO VS GreenWorks for the title of most powerful – Step into Geekland
Let’s calculate…..in theory, the power law states that:
Power (P) = Voltage (V) multiplied by maximum permissible current (I).
P = V X I
However, many other factors will come in when it comes to the power of a mower such as the mechanics of the motor. GreenWorks is brushless so it should conserve more energy and give a greater output than if it were a brush motor…but let us look at the calculations in theory.
NB. V x Ah = Watt-hour, which is called capacity (a measure of energy). Capacity or A “watt-hour” is equivalent to producing a watt of power for 1 hour. A more accurate conversion would resemble–>->
That brings us to the performance, efficiency, and ease of use of these mowers. Which mower actually performs better on your lawn?
So Ego is more ‘powerful’ but which mower performs better on your lawn?
This part was tricky. We saw that both mowers performed great but GreenWorks has a longer run time than EGO and EGO did not mulch well.
- GreenWorks runs for up to 60 minutes in moderate height grass of about 4 inches (the company claims 70 minutes) while EGO usually dies after about 55 minutes of mowing moderately high grass (the company claims 60).
- In high grass, EGO dies in 45 minutes while GreenWorks dies in 50 minutes. All of these are averages. Some went longer and some went for shorter periods.
(The Ego died faster because it is using more of the battery power per hour)
Other points to note
- For mulching, both mowers performed reasonably well but not great. GreenWorks had fewer complaints.
- For bagging, I saw complaints that GreenWorks left some clippings behind while for EGO there were no complaints.
- For sideways discharge, nobody really commented on it maybe because nobody really uses that anymore. But both mowers come with chutes that are easily placed.
- For mowing overall, there were complaints that upon revving, GreenWorks would leave the patch of grass in the seconds it took to rev up even though it was still moving. So you would need to go over the patches. EGO got all the grass.
Which mower is more efficient and easy to use?
Both are efficient and easy to use. No major difference here except Greenworks is harder to carry to storage and Ego does not have a brushless motor so the battery dies faster.
- Having brushless motors, Greenworks mowers will heat up less and function more efficiently.
- Both are easy to start.
- The batteries are easy to charge and both only take 30 minutes to charge.
- The lightness of the EGO mower makes it easy to take to storage but GreenWorks can be a task if your lawn is not close to the storage area.
- GreenWorks is still feather-light compared to the regular gas 160 cc mowers.
- The option to choose between mulching, bagging, or sideway discharge is great for both.
- Switching from bagging to mulching or sideways discharge is convenient for both.
- Folding the handle for storage similarly uncomplicated for both Ego and Greenworks. Folding is made simple by the adjusters on the handle.
Durability – Who will stand the test of time?
Both have steel deck which is good. The EGO handles are thicker than the GreenWorks handle but that’s just aesthetics. Nobody has complained about the handles breaking or being damaged. Both got the same points here.
Warranty -EGO for the WIN!
Both have pretty good warranty but EGO gets the edge because EGO gives 5 years on the mower and 3 years on the battery while GreenWorks gives 4 years on the mower and 2-years warranty on the battery.
Ease of locating replacement parts
For both mowers, it is fairly easy to find replacement blades, batteries and chargers online. If you need replacement parts, you can contact the companies and they will point you to reputable sources. They are also available on Amazon and eBay.
Value – My Final Opinion
I would say both are worth the purchase but I would prefer the cheaper option since, well it is cheaper! And there isn’t really much difference between the two in terms of performance. It depends on your lawn.
When to choose EGO
- If you often have very high or thick grass, I would go with the EGO Self Propelled Mower because it has higher height adjustment and gets bogged down less while mowing.
- If you have back problems, go with EGO.
When to choose GreenWorks
- If you just need a good performing mower with long battery life to mow your relatively well-kept lawn, GreenWorks self propelled mower would be better value for your money.
UPDATE May 2020:
So a lot has changed since we published this article back in 2017. The mowers are still the same in terms of the good quality, durability, and the performance expressed in the review above BUT the prices took an interesting turn. Also, EGO stepped up their game using all the suggestions we the customers and reviewers made and the GreenWorks 80V 5Ah mower is no longer being pushed heavily on the market.
Here’s what’s new for EGO:
1. New EGO 56V cordless electric mower now on the market with dual blade and improved mulching-
We recently reviewed the new EGO select cut LM2135SP self-propelled mower and found that it performs better than this GreenWorks 80V 5Ah self-propelled mower. We also compared the new EGO LM2135SP with the older model. You can read the full review by clicking the links.
2. Better prices now available for the older EGO 56 V 7.5 Ah 21″ Self Propelled Mower – Model #: LM2102SP
Since our review in 2017, the prices for the EGO LM2102SP have dropped tremendously and can now be purchased online at very good prices. With this in mind, we now consider the EGO LM2102SP a better buy than the GreenWorks since it is more economical.
Here’s what’s new for GreenWorks
1. GreenWorks 5Ah model – Difficult to find.
Or Purchase – Currently Available on Amazon
2. New Greenworks Pro MO80L410 80V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower, 4.0Ah Battery, and Charger Included
Or Purchase- Currently available at Amazon
3. New Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Brushless Self-Propelled Mower 6AH Battery and Charger Included, M-210-SP
Currently Available on Amazon and Lowe’s
4. New GreenWorks 21 – inch 60 V 5Ah Brushless Self- Propelled Mower
Not available on Amazon, Available at Lowe’s
Additional Information Resources – New 2020 comparison
Older models 2017 results