Husqvarna Automower 450X
Power and Performance10.0/10
Efficiency and Ease of Use10.0/10
Ease of finding replacement parts9.6/10
Pros and Praises from buyers
- Excellent Cut
- Pet safe
- Child safe
- Exellent Anti-theft features
- Water Resistant and Weather proof
- Handles large, complicated lawns very well
- Easily cleaned
- Programmable from app anywhere you are
- Excellent slope height management - best on the market
Cons and complaints from buyers
- High Cost
This updated Husqvarna Automower 450X Review was done to help you separate all the hype surrounding robots from the hard truth about these automowers. After more than 2 years on the market, we were very excited to see what customers would be saying. It costs almost $1000 more than the already expensive Husqvarna 430X so it must have something special right? We think it is one of the best automowers.
A lot of the robotic lawn mowers we have looked at so far are just very fancy toys to see on your lawn but are usually just that and nothing more. When we reviewed the Husqvarna 430X (look in the suggested posts below), we were also very impressed but is this update worth the extra cash?
Full Review (UPDATED)- C-ELMR Product Review 100013
Product: Husqvarna Automower 450X Robotic Lawn Mower
Model: 967 62 26-05
General Market Price: Estimated USD 3499.95 at Husqvarna Website
Where to buy New online: Amazon
Guarantee: 2 Year Warranty
So what is the Husqvarna Automower 450X?
The Husqvarna Automower 450X is one of the latest automowers in a series of robotic lawn mowers available from the Husqvarna company. They make your lawn 99% maintenance-free.
How will it work? Its very simple
Well leaving all the boring, techy “Mombo jumbo” aside, they work by using a low voltage guidewire and a very intelligent user interface to cut your lawn without your supervision. You can even make adjustments from your phone, tablet or computer. You can change the settings on the automower from anywhere.
This is what FREEDOM looks like!
Unlike many other robotic mowers, the Automower 450X has a GPS that uses satellite technology to communicate with your phone.
The only thing you need to do is customize the user interface and set up the charging station and guide wires to tell the automower how, when and where you want it to cut.
When this is done, you will have a maintenance-free lawn for years.
Here is a YouTube video by Husqvarna showing how the Automower works
Sounds great right? This is exactly how the Husqvarna automower 430X works, so what is so special about the 450X for it to cost almost $1000 more than the automower 430X?
As usual, in my reviews, I look at seven different factors to determine if the lawnmowers are any good so take a look.
Our Husqvarna Automower 450X review covered the following:
Efficiency and Ease of Use
Ease of locating replacement parts
Customer service from the company
Design – The very best we’ve seen so far!
For most, the boring but essential details…don’t worry, we broke it down below in the table and then you scroll down for Husqvarna automower video reviews if you hate to read.
Good news for people with huge lawns
The Husqvarna automower 450X is one step above the Husqvarna automower 430X because it was designed to handle huge lawns of up to 1.25 acres.
I’m sure you will not be able to physically monitor the mower in such a large lawn. Like the 430X, the 450X has a top-quality security system that alarms whenever someone interferes with it without using the security pin. The app tracks your mower’s location if stolen, renders it useless by the thief and then it will be blacklisted from all support both on-site and online.
Take a look at this video explaining the major features of the Husqvarna Automower 450X
User Interface allows you to truly connect with your ROBOT
As mentioned above, this automower has a user interface that can be monitored and programmed from your phone using an app called the Automower Connect. You can get the app on the iOS App Store or Google Play for Android phones.
Husqvarna has an app for the apple watch phone also. You can also track where it has been using satellite imagery of your lawn and a heat sensor pattern. If you cannot get the app, they still have you covered, because you can opt to get text message updates. The mower also comes with a remote in the case that there are any areas that you would like to do a special cut.
How high can it cut without bogging down? Height of grass cut
Automower 450X can cut very high grass without giving an error signal. It cuts between 0.8 to 2.4 inches off the tip of the grass with each mow so you can set it to cut at 2.4 inches at first then adjust it later to do a second trip to get your grass lower if you wish.
The Impressive Spiral Cut Feature – Do you have flower beds?
If you have a flower bed or few, your Husqvarna will automatically switch to spiral mode around your flower bed and switch back when it moves away from it. The spiral cut feature allows the automower to move in perfect circles. This is great not only to look at. The spiral cut feature is an especially useful mobility and flexibility feature for people who have flower beds weaved into their lawns.
How powerful are these robots?
Power, Performance, and Efficiency – How did Husqvarna pull of a 5-star rating?
These automowers outperformed all the other automowers that I have seen so far, including the Husqvarna 430X.
- It can handle very large lawns without leaving uncut sections throughout the week.
- It can cut lawns with slopes up to 45 % without compromising on the quality of the cut.
- It cuts through some grass heights that some push mowers would get bogged down on.
- Can handle patches in your lawn that other automowers will get stuck in. So if like me, you do not have a perfect lawn, this robotic mower will still work.
- It does not leave clumps of grass in your yard for you to rake. It leaves small clippings that are great for your lawn in terms of soil water retention and fertilization. For all the lazies like me, awesome feature.
- Low maintenance cost so it basically pays for itself in a few years if you are currently paying someone to cut your lawn.
- It does not leave very noticeable tire marks in your grass. It runs in all directions leaving a smooth finish.
- It turns pretty well to avoid getting stuck after meeting an obstacle and quickly navigates its way out of tight spaces. Very independent little guy.
- It is very safe to use as the blades stop when lifting or tilting the mower so you do not need to worry about losing a few fingers each time you tilt it.
- It works faster in low grass so it is advised that you trim before dropping this automower in the equation.
- When placed in very tall, thick grass, it will take care of the lawn but it might get stuck a few times initially until the automower gets it under control at a more convenient height but it works better than all the others we have seen so far.
- It does not get to the edges if there is a wall or other obstacle at the edge of the lawn because the blades are tucked away under the mower. This is a safety precaution.
Take a look at these two videos of the Husqvarna 450X on large lawns with complicated structures. Pretty impressive!
Most mowers will get destroyed by rain and other adverse weather conditions so we were impressed by this feature on the Husqvarna Automower 450X. Speaking of the installation process, how hard is that to do?
Ease of use – The installation process is hassle-free so it’s another 5 stars here
This mower gets 5 stars for ease of use. All you need to do is set up the guide wires and program the automower and it is hassle-free for the rest of your lawn life.
Take a look at this short video showing you how to get through the installation process
The installation process is the same for the Husqvarna 430x
- Sketch the area of your yard that you intend to let your automower work. You should take into consideration all the flower beds, connections or other complicated structures of your lawn.
- After doing the sketch, you decide where you want to place your charging station. It should be placed on a flat surface close to a power outlet with a clear path before it for the automower to travel home.
- After the planning stage, you install your charging base by simply securing it with pegs to the lawn surface so that it does not move while the automower is trying to dock.
- You then set out to lay your guide wires. While laying the wire does not take a genius, it takes patience. The Husqvarna 450X Automower is recommended for lawns up to 1.25 acres so it might take a long while to get the guide wires around all the parameters, especially if there are connecting lawns, narrow connections and a lot of flower beds or other structures to run the guide wires around. The large kit comes with one 150 meters and one 250 meter spool for 400 meters total. This mower series can handle a total of 792.48 m or 2600 feet of the guidewire. Two large kits should suffice for an area that large.
(While laying the guide wires, you need to measure the distance between each peg your place and the edge of your mowing area to ensure that it is at least 14 inches away from the edges. This will prevent it from getting stuck on turns. If you have a large lawn, you might want to consider hiring someone to do it but you might have the patience to get it done by yourself. You can contact us using our contact page and we will recommend a service near you to help with your installation process)
Overall, I would say that for you to go through the process of laying the wires once is nothing compared to the trouble and time wasted mowing your lawn for two to four hours weekly or bi-weekly, especially in the rainy season.
What about Durability and Ease of locating replacement parts?
Judging from the 430X mower reviews, which have been around for longer, all you need to worry about in expenses is changing the blades every few months. The blades are like USD $10 for 30 pieces so no problems there.
You might want to change the wheels and bearings now and then if they wear out. The total repair kit with blades, wheels, and bearings cost a little over $24 on eBay.
How often you replace these parts will depend on the terrain of your lawn and how rocky it is. These are also found on Amazon.
Customer service from the company
Who would I recommend this mower for?
- Busy individuals
- Looking to spend more time with the family
- People who hate mowing
- Do not feel secure allowing strangers to cut your lawn
- lawn size of 800 sq ft to 1.25 acres with slopes.
- Connecting lawns
- Complicated garden with narrow passageways.
- Travel a lot – mower can be monitored from your phone or computer.
Value – My Final Thoughts
Though these Husqvarna 450x automowers cost up to USD $3500.00, it is worth the purchase. The price of the mower and the low maintenance cost will equate to the expenses you would have had with a gas mower within three years. The major difference between the 450X and the 430X is that the 450X was built to combat larger lawns more efficiently.
The convenience of having a mower that does all the work on such a large lawn, with complicated structures embedded into it, is worth the cost. It is best to buy the Husqvarna automowers online from Amazon or on eBay as you will get them much cheaper.
Hands down one of the best Automower we have seen so far. At the prices you saw above, I know you will be getting your money back many times over in the years to come when you consider the low maintenance cost and the time you would have lost mowing your lawn. I love automowers but I am still waiting for the day when an automower as great as this one, will be as cost-effective as the WORX Landroid robotic mower. Now take a look at the review above to see why this beats the Husqvarna automower 430X and all the other automowers out there right now or scroll to the comment section to see what others are saying. You can also view other customer reviews here