Which is better? Which one should you buy for 2020? This comparison of our Kobalt 80V mower review and our Greenworks Pro 80V mower review was done by our team at C-ELMR to make the choice easier for you.
These are both good quality mowers but each has its fault. It depends on what you can live with. So which one did you have your heart set on?
Take a look at the results below and tell me if you were on point with your assumptions. Looking forward to seeing you in the comment section below!
How will you decide which electric mower is better for you?
Whenever you are comparing two electric mowers, there are the areas that you should consider:
- Efficiency and ease of use
This is exactly what we did for you. Let’s start with the mower designs.
Design – Which mower was designed with you in mind?
Both mowers have good designs but Greenworks has an edge over Kobalt. Why? Battery selection and variation in height adjustments.
Update 2020: Kobalt now available with 5Ah battery but it is more expensive than GreenWorks –Link provided at the end of the article.
Batteries – How long can you spend on your lawn before they die?
Kobalt 80V mower comes with 2 2Ah batteries.
The Greenworks Pro 80 Volts mower has more variation in battery selections. If you have thick grass, this choice is especially important for you.
The batteries of both Kobalt and Greenworks tend to drain faster in tall or thick grass. You can get longer run time from your Kobalt or Greenworks Pro 80V mower if you buy a 4Ah or 5Ah battery and charger kit instead of, or with your 2Ah battery option.
I am not sure how it works at your local stores but these options in battery and mower combinations are available on Amazon
Current Prices for different Greenworks mower kits on Amazon
The mower 2Ah kit above is comparable to the Kobalt mower kit with the two 2Ah batteries and the lawn mower.
This 4Ah kit gives 60 minutes of run time without switching batteries. If you buy the 4Ah battery as an extra power source, you can mow close to an acre of moderately grown grass.
The 5Ah battery will last up to 80 minutes in moderate grass height and thickness. This is the ultimate additional battery source. If you get this as an additional battery with your 2Ah mower kit, mowing an acre of your lawn will be a breeze.
Both Kobalt and Greenworks chargers are of great quality and easy to use. All you need to do is find a power outlet, place the batteries in the charging slots and they will both be fully charged in 30 minutes.
Greenworks gets an edge over Kobalt because the Greenworks charger can cool off the battery before charging it. This increases the lifespan of your batteries.
Height adjustments – Which mower will be easier to use in tall grass?
The maximum height adjustment on the Kobalt mower is just 3.75 inches and 3.63 for Greenworks yet Kobalt does not handle tall grass as well as Greenworks.
Which mower is more powerful? Kobalt Versus Greenworks
Points to note:
- Even if you buy the 2Ah Greenworks Pro 80V kit, Greenworks generally does a better job powering through your lawn than the Kobalt 80V 2Ah mower, without bogging down.
- In thick grass, the battery options allow Greenworks to get the edge in the power department, as it takes longer to drain. You can truly abandon your 160cc gas mower if you can get yourself a Greenworks Pro 80V 4Ah or 5Ah battery.
This brings us to performance.
So GreenWorks is more powerful but which mower performs better on your lawn?
Points to note:
- The only drawback we found with the Kobalt 80V mower is that it does not perform very well in tall, thick grass.
- The only drawback we found with the GreenWorks mower is that it does not mulch as well as the Kobalt does in damp or wet grass. It does an okay job but you might have some leaves left behind depending on how tall or damp your grass is when mulching. It mulches great on dry grass.
- Greenworks has a slight edge over Kobalt with run time using the 2Ah batteries. Nothing significant unless you are using the 4Ah or 5Ah batteries on the Greenworks 80V mower.
Efficiency and Ease of Use
Points to note:
- Both are easy to maneuver around your lawn.
- Both are light and easy to carry to and from storage
- However, Greenworks can be stored both vertically and horizontally which allows for more storage space.
Durability and Warranty
Which 80V mower is more durable, Kobalt or Greenworks?
Both have steel decks and look very durable. Customers gave both Kobalt and Greenworks a thumbs up for the durability of both mowers and batteries.
Blades last similar times depending on the consistency of your grass. Do you have a lot of protruding stones? Well, your blades will get dull faster. You can click here to read our tips on How to Maintain and Care your electric mower
Who has the better warranty?
Kobalt has a 5-year warranty on the mowers and 3 years on the batteries.
Greenworks has 4 years warranty on the mowers and 1 year on the batteries.
So Kobalt takes the cake here.
Overall Value – My final opinion
Both are worth the purchase. They are both two powerful mowers that will last many years. I would go with Greenworks because they have a wide range of interchangeable battery options for longer run time. These batteries can also be used with many other Greenworks tools, like hedge trimmers, snow and leaf blowers, etc.
HELPFUL SUMMARY COMPARISON TABLES
Related Video Review of both mowers